Friday, March 2, 2012

My Day

I had a rough day today, and I'm kind of nervous about blogging about it because it's only 1 o'clock in the afternoon. But today was a doozy that will go down in the history books.

It started off okay (except that one of the girls wet the bed, and we were a little bit late to school). I walk the girls to school every morning, and when I get home I am drenched in sweat. So, I decided to do some last minute cleaning (Ryan's parents come tonight). When I finished with that I put Megann down for a nap, took a quick/cold shower, and told our helper that I was going to the grocery store.

When I got to the store I tried to get money from the ATM with Ryan's card (mine doesn't work because the new card which arrives tonight with Ryan's parents is already activated). Unfortunately, I tried getting out cash with my pin, which obviously didn't work with his card. After a few unsuccessful attempts it locked me out of the account. The only other card in my wallet was Ryan's credit card, which I knew I couldn't use in the store because they always check the signatures (I've tried before). So, I called Ryan (on the verge of tears) to see if there was anything he could do to help. He had some time before his next class (about 45 minutes), so he hopped on the moto, stopped by the house to get his ATM card for our local account (which had about $25 dollars in it), then stopped at the ATM to get me some cash for paying my tuk-tuk driver and the water delivery guys that come to the house with drinking water every Friday. During this time I was busily trying to pick out the groceries I needed for the weekend.

The shopping experience was quite frustrating because several of the items I wanted weren't in stock (this happens a lot). A few minutes later my phone rang - it was Ryan. When I answered the phone I could tell that something was wrong. There were the normal traffic sounds, but there were also voices in the background. Ryan said, "Umm. I have a flat tire." Honestly, I was relieved that he hadn't been in an accident, but my nerves were on edge and I could feel my heart starting to race. After trying to figure out what to do next, Ryan called my tuk-tuk driver and had him come meet him at the repair shop. I stayed in the store trying to hold back the tears. As Ryan and Mop were sorting out the moto, I ran into some friends in the store... and then the tears started rolling. As I tried to spill the story of my day (the past hour of it, actually) they listened with empathy. They knew how rough days like mine felt. They had been there before, and they understood. Ryan called again to say that he was on his way, and that the water guys were at the house waiting for me (of course, why wouldn't they be?!). We visited for a while as I pulled myself together, and had a good laugh when Ryan walked in the door. I had forgotten that he was dressed like a rapper for Spirit Week at school! He paid for the groceries and then hurried back to teach his class. I crawled into the tuk-tuk, asked my driver to take me home, and then cried the entire way back. I was so thankful for Ryan and for friends, so homesick for a "normal" life (because you never have bad days, right?), and so grateful that all of this happened today and not on Tuesday (because Ryan had gone to school that day dressed like a nerd!).

5 comments:

A Gift to Open, Again and Again said...

Praying for you Ange. I know how you feel... nothing quite like incredible heat and humidity to make everything harder than it ought to be. Did that for 25 years and don't miss that part! Plus getting ready for company, plus school work for you and kids and hubby and all... I am hoping that the grandparents give you time to sleep in and let go of some of your load. C is good at pampering... let her. We love you dearly!

Kara said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry for such a bad day! It is always the mounting frustration that nearly undoes me. And the heat really throws you over the edge. My advice? Go to an air-con cafe and escape with a book and cold drink! I hope your week is better.

Joye said...

I'm so sorry friend :/ I wish I could be there to help you! I hope your week is better- enjoy the inlaws :) Lets skype soon! Love you all!

Heather said...

Angie,

I applaud you for being REAL and posting the good with the bad. I too have had some rough days, and reading your blog post somehow makes me feel like I'm not alone. It's not easy managing four children, your studies, your ministry, and all in a different country... you are in my heart and prayers.

Love you guys!

Cox Family said...

so wish i had seen him that day. or that week. I also so relate to your day and how one thing can snowball in to the next all day. lol I hope next time we will be at the store together because then i can laugh with you at another cambodia moment